Having a good CB Radio in your Jeep JK Wrangler is not only a lot of fun, it’s an important piece of equipment that a lot of clubs and organized trail events require you have. Unfortunately, one of the biggest reasons why so many are reluctant to install a good CB Radio is because most are pretty big and bluky and really, there are so few places if any, to install one and cleanly. This is especially true in 2011 and up JK’s and, why we chose to get a Tuffy Security Overhead CB Console.
What you will need:
• 5/32″, 1/8″ Allen Wrench
• 5/16″, 3/8″ 7/16″ Wrench
• 10mm Socket
• Torx T-25 Bit
• Small Phillips Screwdriver
• Galvanized Hanger Strap
• Coax Cable
Here’s a shot of showing everything you will get with the Tuffy Security Overhead CB Console.
Here’s a shot of the Cobra 29 PLX CB Radio that I will be installing in the console.
1. Because there are so many different types of CB Radios out there, there really is no one solution to mounting it in the Tuff Security Console. Due to the shaped feature on the front of the Cobra 29 PLX, I decided to use the provided bracket and secure it directly onto the grill of the console as shown in this pic.
2. To help prevent the CB Radio from jiggling around, I used a piece of galvanized hanger strap to secure the back of the radio to the bottom of the Tuffy Security console as shown below. The Tuffy kit comes with a bolt and nut to secure the strap and a 3/8″ wrench and 5/32″ wrench will be needed to fasten them in place but, for the CB Radio, I had to find a screw that would work. Surprisingly, I found that a standard screw used to attach a CD/DVD ROM into a desktop computer worked just fine. A small phillips screwdriver is needed to fasten this screw.
3. The Tuffy Security console comes with openings on the side that will allow some CB Radios to have a mic cord pass through it. With the Cobra 29 PLX, this is not possible and so, I installed the provided plugs as shown here.
4. Plug in the power lead into the back of your CB Radio and secure one end of your antenna’s coax cable onto the terminal as shown.
5. Install the plastic conduit provided with the Tuffy kit over the power lead and coax cable and route it on top of the CB radio and out the slot off to the side as shown below.
6. Slide on the top half of the Tuffy Security console and scure the back of it in place using the screws provided. You will need a 5/32″ allen wrench for this job.
7. Secure the open end of the Tuffy Security console in place using the screws provided. Again, you will need a 5/32″ allen wrench for this job.
8. Carefully install the slide assembly onto the top panel only part way so that you can start routing the plastic conduit as shown.
9. Affix the provided straps onto the conduit and located them over the hole where they will be attached to.
10. Secure the straps onto the conduit using some electrical tape. This is done to help prevent the conduit from moving around when sliding the console forward and back.
11. Using the screws and nuts provided, secure the conduit straps onto the slide assembly as shown. You will need a 3/8″ wrench and 5/32″ allen wrench for this job.
12. Secure the slide assembly onto the top pane using the knob screw provided with the kit.
13. If you have a soft top, you will want to unlatch the header from the windshield frame and open up the Sunrider section of it now. If you have a hard top, you will want to remove the Freedom Top panels.
14. Move your sun visors off to the side and then, grab the header trim and pull down on it firmly until it separates from the windshield. You can just let the trim hang in place – you do not need to remove it.
15. Using a Torx T-25 bit, remove the bolts securing the 2 footman loops on either end of your JK’s windshield frame.
16. Slide the Tuffy windshield mounting bracket in between the trim as shown.
17. Reinstall the 2 footman loops over the Tuffy windshiled mounting bracket and secure them in place using the factory hardware. A Torx T-25 bit will be needed for this job.
18. Push firmly on the interior trim until the trim tabs snap back into the windshield.
19. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts securing both ends of the sound bar to your JK’s roll bar.
20. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts securing the center portion of the sound bar to your JK’s roll bar.
21. Carefully lower your sound bar and allow it to hang in place for now.
22. Install the Tuffy Security console onto the windshield mounting bracket using the bolts, washers and nuts provided. You will need a 7/16″ wrench and 1/8″ allen wrench for this job. An extra set of hands to help out is really handy here too.
23. Install the Tuffy clamp bracket on to the bottom of your JK’s center roll bar and secure the top panel onto it using the bolts, washers and nuts provided with the kit. You will need a 7/16″ wrench and socket for this job and again, an extra set of hands would really help out here.
And that’s pretty much it, you’re done and now have a CB Radio installed in your Jeep JK Wrangler. All you really need to do is find a good place to secure your mic when in use. When I took these pics, I had used a Gearkeeper retractable mic holder in this location but, I have since moved it to a location that was out of the way.
While the Tuffy Security Console does come with a locking door, I was not able to use it with the Cobra 29 PLX due to the face trim design on it. Other radios can be mounted further back so that the door can be closed and locked.
Here are a few more pics of what it looks like installed.